DJ Hennie V

Keep in touch

RSS Feed Twitter Facebook

Subscribe via email

ORTOFON Vinyl Preservation Academy: Ortofon Interview With DJ HENNIE V

Tuesday, June 22, 2010


What are your current tours, notable appearances or residencies that you are most proud of or most excited about?
Over the last Six Months I have performed in Miami, Chicago, Iowa State, Los Angeles and Jamaica. I currently hold four residencies, three in Toronto and One in Barrie Ontario.

What geographical area are you based in, and what organization/crew do you represent?
I am based out of Toronto and Chicago right now. I am represented by My Own company The GDM Group that is based out in Toronto that manages DJs and a Boutique Agency group called the The Music Trust in Chicago.

Why do you choose to use Ortofon cartridges?
At this Current time I use Shure M 447 Cartridges, but I am very excited to use and promote the new Ortofon line.

Are you using purely vinyl, timecoded vinyl (ie Serato et al), or a mixture of both? Why?
I only use Serato Vinyl, I do not like Cds or CDJs. They just don’t feel real to me.

Why do you choose to use turntables?
I learned on turntables way before cdjs and have a love for the 1200. The feeling is very different and I will never change over.

Give us a very brief (3 sentences or less) synopsis of your best memory as a DJ/performer.
I would have to say one of my best moments as DJ was the first time I played a big party, I was very nervous about messing up or even if I was ready to do the event. i ended up doing a really good job and from that day I have never been scared going to any club or doing any big events.

Who are your influences and who/what inspired you to become a DJ? In what year did you start playing?
My influences I would say are My brothers and my father, they both use to DJ, That’s how I got into it. Other influences are DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Rectangle, Spence Diamonds from Toronto and DJ AM.

Tell us a briefly about your predictions regarding the future of the genre of music and/or music scene that you are most involved in.
In Toronto night now I would have to say it is in a very strange transition point, what is going to happen over the next short while with clubs I’m not sure. I have a feeling that glamour is on it’s way out and more casual places and small clubs and lounges will be in. For music, House is making a come back.

What is, in your opinion, the most important aspect of being a DJ/performer?
I think the most important aspect of being a DJ is knowing how to read a crowed hands down.

What is the most important aspect of a DJ’s skill?
Once again I would have to say reading your audience and being able to give people what they want to hear but at the same time being creative with it.

What is the most exciting and/or gratifying part of being a DJ?
I just get excited to DJ. I love playing music that makes people feel good and seeing everyone have a good time. I get great satisfaction from people that compliment you on the good job you’re doing and how you made that persons night.

Please give us a link to your website or social networking page where our visitors can learn more about you.
http://www.djhenniev.com/
http://www.facebook.com/djhenniev
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ-HENNIE-V/50715786178
http://djhenniev.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/DJHennieV

Top 3 artists to watch in 2010?
Drake
Duck Sauce
Calvin Harris

Top 3 tracks/releases of all time?
Daft Punk - One More Time
Chaka Khan - Fate
Talib Kweli - The Blast

0 comments:

Post a Comment